Monday 9th November
A grave situation
Having thought that I had done with digging on the allotment this year, I felt an irresistible urge to do a bit more. There was a grave situation, the possibility that some autumn raspberries in the garden at home would go to waste if they couldn’t be found a home. Obviously, as I surveyed the allotment, I realised there was plenty of space, it only needed a bit of spade-work. The digging muscles were called out of retirement and I got stuck in. Again! It was a hack through the matted grass with the mattock, having carefully raked the long areas to check for frogs – there are numerous frogs around, which is great as they eat slugs, I believe, so they are a gardeners friend but I have a horror of digging away and then coming across half a deceased frog. So care was needed…a frog was ushered to safety and then the hard work could begin. Once started, it didn’t take long and the job was soon done. It did look a bit like a grave yard…(see picture!) But no-one was hurt in the making of this raspberry bed!
Phase 2, dig up the raspberries at home. They are right in front of the newly-constructed wood store and a real menace when trying to retrieve wood for the fire, so they had to go. There were more than I thought, about a dozen, so I’ve got a nice, fairly short but double row of raspberry canes on the allotment. It’s a bit early in the year to move them and I’ve not yet pruned them, just moved them as they are, with canes intact. It’s been raining quite a lot since their transplantation, so hopefully they will bed in well. Next job, put up some supporting posts and wires but that can wait till another day…